'Tis the Season | Animal Lovers
Holiday cheer for all. Many of the things that make the holidays special, including large gatherings, food, holiday decorations and plants, can be hazardous for our pets. With a few simple precautions, the whole family can bask in good cheer.
Please keep the following in mind as you celebrate the holiday season:
1) Poinsettias, Mistletoe, Holly, and Ivy can be poisonous to our pets if nibbled or eaten.
2) Keep decorations out of reach of playful pets. Ribbons and sparkling lights may be attractive to your pets but they can be very harmful and even fatal. Electrical cords can also pose a threat, especially for the pet that likes to chew.
3) Don’t over-indulge your pets with treats. Changing your pet’s diet at any time can upset their stomach, causing diarrhea and/or vomiting. Additionally, foods that we commonly consume can be poisonous to your pet, such as tomato pulp, olives, mushrooms, and chocolate.
4) Ensure your dogs and cats are wearing up-to-date and legible identification, just in case they do get out. The Placer SPCA strongly advises that all dogs and cats be microchipped, and offers microchip implants for only $20 during all business hours.