LOOMIS, Calif. - A house fire resulted in tragedy for a Loomis family Sunday evening.
Fire crews say the fire started in the back of the home on Saunders Avenue around 5 p.m. Sunday.
Neighbors and responding fire fighters reported seeing black smoke coming from the home.
Once in the home, the fire department located a man in the front bedroom and his adult son near the front door. Both were unconscious.
Gerri Files said her brother, sister-in-law and nephew live in the home where the fire broke out. She first got the news when she heard it on the scanner. Then, she picked up the phone and called her brother's home.
"When their answering machine didn't answer, I knew something was a matter," said Files.
Files said her brother, 63-year-old Thom Jorgensen, was a Vietnam War veteran and handicapped. He lost one leg and relied on the use of a wheelchair.